Science is developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for an automation engineer to automate custom tools and build automated testing systems. These systems may initially assess prototypes but will scale to our production. This is a hands-on interdisciplinary development role that will require versatility across a variety of tasks in a highly collaborative environment.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Automation of test systems to measure optical and electrical characteristics of our devices in many form factors (on-wafer, singulated die, and biological samples).
- System integration of instrumentation and control software.
- Write control software as needed to automate mechatronics, instruments, and data acquisition.
- Work closely with device engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and biologists to build test apparatuses for experimental measurements.
- Assist in the automation and software development of other custom-built tools.
- 3+ years experience in automating test systems or tools in a R&D and/or manufacturing environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of process and motion control using open- and closed-loop feedback.
- Experience with writing software that communicates with variety of different hardware devices using ethernet, serial protocols, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with liquid handlers
- Experience with PCR, RNA/DNA extraction
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Results oriented, action first outlook
- Experience with NI-DAQ/LabVIEW or other DAQ systems
- Experience or knowledge of any object-oriented coding languages, i.e., C or C++, Python, or MATLAB
- Experience with common communication protocols i.e. SPI, I2C, UART, etc.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture automation
- Familiarity and comfort working collaboratively in large codebase.
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $115,000-$165,000 annually + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.