Science is an early stage company developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for an Optical Engineer who will be responsible for the design and fabrication of custom experimental rigs, production systems, and implanted optics . Your main focus will be in the rapid design, prototyping and evaluation of these systems. This is a technical leadership role that will grow with the company. Ideal candidates will not be afraid to tackle seemingly impossible problems, and be able to concisely and clearly communicate issues and solutions.
- Optical design of implanted systems
- Design of micro-optical components (microlenses, diffraction gratings, etc)
- Rapid benchtop prototyping of optical systems
- Working with external and internal stakeholders to bring designs to manufacturing
- 4 years experience in the optical design space
- Great examples of difficult optical designs that you’ve done in the past
- Proficiency in geometric and physical optics, as well as associated simulation software
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with rapid prototypes and design iterations.
- MS or PhD degree in optics, physics or closely related discipline
- Experience in miniaturized systems
- Experience with silicon photonics, nonlinear optics, microdisplays, DMDs, spatial light modulators or waveguide couplers
- Experience with human vision
- Experience with consumer electronics or medical devices
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.