Staff Device Integration Engineer
Alameda, California, United StatesApply now
Science is an early stage company developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for a Microfabrication Engineer focused on the integration of our microelectronic devices. Your main focus will be the joining of different microfabricated components together, as well as the modification of the components to enable this. As a company, we are taking a variety of approaches to tackle problems which means that you will be expected to conceive, design and develop different bonding architectures. This is a hands-on position where you will need to modify microfabricated devices, develop processes, design or purchase equipment and demonstrate success. Our goal is to move quickly, but ultimately once we have determined the right solution we will aim to scale our work and help as many people as possible.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Hands-on development of microelectronic bonding solutions for different technologies (silicon-silicon, silicon to III-V, etc)
- Development of hermetic packaging strategies for optoelectronic devices
- Characterization and testing of parts
- 4+ years working with semiconductor devices
- Experience in flip chip bonding, reflow processes, or exotic bonding technologies
- Experience with underfill, encapsulation, thermal bonding
- Physical understanding of bonding physics (elevated temperature and pressure)
- Cleanroom fabrication and characterization experience
- Experience in failure analysis and the ability to quickly iterate
- Strong interest in building the devices you design
- Excellent analytical skills
- MS or PhD in Materials Science, Physics, EE or related field
- Fabrication of through-silicon vias
- Experience bonding components with <10 um feature sizes
- Experience with laser processing
- Experience working with indium bonding, anisotropic conductive films, thermocompression/ultrasonic bonding, etc
- Experience with 3D stacking of silicon devices
- MS or PhD in materials science, physics, EE, or similar discipline
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $100,000-$160,000 annually + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.